Sunday, February 20, 2005

Flea Market at Hotorget and the Change of Guards Parade at Gamla Stan

Warning... Although today was generally a relaxing day. I ended up with a super long blog entry that has been split into 2 parts.

We visit the flea market at Hotorget. There is an open space in front of the cinema at Hotoget. On Saturdays, an open air market is set up and a lot of cheap fruits and vegetables are sold. On Sunday, a flea market is set up instead. I like shopping and just looking around at the assortment of things on sale.

Image hosted by Putfile.com

Image hosted by Putfile.com

Image hosted by Putfile.com

Image hosted by Putfile.com

Image hosted by Putfile.com
The flea market

Image hosted by Putfile.com
Check out all the things on sale!

Image hosted by Putfile.com
I’m looking at some records for sale. (posed shot ^0^)

I was attracted to this shop immediately. Me and Dom went back to this shop a couple of times cos we liked the shawls on sale, but thought that they were a little too expensive. We tried the “walking away trick" several times on the shopkeeper, but the trick doesn’t work in Sweden like it does in Bangkok. I was going to give up and pay the man the 150 SEK he wanted, but Dom continued bargaining and got it down to 2 for 240 SEK. So in the end, I got my shawl for 120 SEK = S$30.
Image hosted by Putfile.com
Bargaining with the shawl man.

There were 3 different neck lines to choose from and about 5 different shades for the necks, so I was having a little headache. After paying the man, I still couldn’t decide which one I wanted so Qiang took some photos for me so that I could compare… So clever of him. Now I can have photos of myself in all the man’s shawls! Hahaha!

Image hosted by Putfile.com
Shawl 1 - turtle neck

Image hosted by Putfile.com
Shawl 2 - normal neck (messing up the poor guys stall)

Image hosted by Putfile.com
Shawl 3 - neck with ribbon (really getting my worth of 120 kroners)

Initially I bought Shawl 3, but in the end, I changed my mind because it was the one displayed on the model and stretched quite a bit. In the end, I chose another which was lighter in colour. I didn't even try it on in the end. You’ll see it later at the city hall.
.
Image hosted by Putfile.com
Checking out our eventual buys

Image hosted by Putfile.com
Dom, with the shawl he bought for his friend and I, with the shawl I bought eventually.

After that, we shopped around for a bit more and then left to watch the change of parade.

Image hosted by Putfile.com
I like this picture cos it’s so pretty! I was very lucky cos Dom and Qiang’s photos with this shop had other customers spoiling the pic. Heh..

Image hosted by Putfile.com
Posing at another shop

Image hosted by Putfile.com
Check out all the old things this shop sells!

After visiting the flea market, we proceeded to Gamla Stan where the change of guard parade takes place at 1pm. According the Qiang, the parade is on every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.

Image hosted by Putfile.com
Image hosted by Putfile.com
Image hosted by Putfile.com
Image hosted by Putfile.com
Gamla Stan

Image hosted by Putfile.com
Image hosted by Putfile.com
The guards are gathered and lined up before they begin their march to the Royal Palace where the change of guards ceremony will take place.

Image hosted by Putfile.com
We sneak some shots before they start their parade.

Image hosted by Putfile.com
The parade begins.

Image hosted by Putfile.com
Here we half run and half walk in order to take photos as the guards march to the palace.

Image hosted by Putfile.com
The things we do for good photos! This is as close as I dare to get to the guards. I’m a little afraid someone is going to scold me for disrupting their march. Hehe..

Image hosted by Putfile.com
In a crazy mood. Trying to march alongside the guards.

Eventually, we arrive at the royal palace. They do a series of marches and drumming. Although their uniforms look impressive, their marching is not very co-ordinated and lacks discipline. The guards with the white helments are going to replace the guards with the pointed helments at the palace.

Image hosted by Putfile.com
Image hosted by Putfile.com
Image hosted by Putfile.com
Image hosted by Putfile.com
Image hosted by Putfile.com
Ceremony at the palace

Image hosted by Putfile.com
Royal palace.

Image hosted by Putfile.com
Canon

Image hosted by Putfile.com
Posing with the palace guard.


Image hosted by Putfile.com
Image hosted by Putfile.com
Image hosted by Putfile.com
Some more photos at the Royal palace.

Image hosted by Putfile.com
Feeling Funky?!

Image hosted by Putfile.com
Image hosted by Putfile.com
A better view of the entrance into Gamla Stan.

Image hosted by Putfile.com
Image hosted by Putfile.com
Stockholm Cathedral. (The tall building you always see. check out the real name later on)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home